Friday, May 11, 2007

Work in Progress: Photo ID Required



The 36" x 48" work in progress, working title "Photo ID Required," has most of my time right now. Was up into the night just organizing some background imagery for the composition. Hard to imagine that I have been working on this final version all week already and have yet to touch paint to canvas (which is where the orange and green dilemma from earlier posts will come in).

I promised myself that I would use this blog- as opposed to my website at KurtColeEidsvig.com - to blog the actual goings-on in my studio. What ideas are circulating, music, the creative process itself. So, I am going to post pictures of work in progress from time to time to allow people to track the construction of some of these pieces.

This work uses imagery from the Golden Book "Jonah and other Bible Stories," as well as "The Land of OZ: The Further Adventures of The Scarecrow and the Tin Woodsman," by L. Frank Baum. The Golden Book I picked up at Brooks Drug for 2 bucks and the "OZ" book belonged to my stepfather.

The other background imagery is receipts I collected over the past year. There are definitely questions of faith and materialism; the seen and unseen; and the ways we go about belief of any kind in a consumer culture. Not all of this is straight-forward but is forming as the work forms. There is something fascinating to me about the depiction of the Garden of Eden in a coloring book (if you take that item/knowledge you will be cast out) alongside a receipt that features "Peppermint Dream Christ" which is short for "Peppermint Dreams Christmas Wrapping Paper." There are a number of connections like this already in the work, and with the overlay of a model blowing a kiss to her reflection in the mirror, it seems to be moving along well.

It is a very exciting time to be a part of this work in my studio.

Back to work.

No comments: