Thursday, May 17, 2007

Music Video: RUN D.M.C. - Down with the King

First 2 cassette tapes I bought in my life? Motley Crue "Shout at the Devil," and Run D.M.C.'s self-titled debut. I won't get into the "Crue" right now: but if you have never seen the video for 'Wildside," featuring Tommy Lee in the drum set that spins upside-down over the arena crowd.... well, you're just not living, baby.

Run D.M.C. is impossible to quantify in terms of their role in hip-hop. The albums King of Rock, Tougher than Leather, Raisin' Hell, the self-titled one, Down with the King... all so huge. So huge.

I wish I still had my t-shirt from the Beastie Boys/Run D.M.C. "Together Forever" tour... although it might be a little snug now.

Here I am including the video for "Down with the King," which is special because it is a great song, features guest spots with Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth, and shows the self-proclaimed Kings of Rock still reinventing the rap game after years of maintaining their throne.

And finally, for a special shout-out to Run D.M.C., see Matt Damon's performance in "Dogma."

No comments: