Monday, May 21, 2007

Blog Muse: Kim Cockroft




It occurred to me that I haven’t given appropriate credit where credit is due.

Now that I have people actually reading this blog about the life and times of Studio 617 in Midway I guess it makes sense to talk about how the whole thing came about. The idea of blogging to me seemed semi-ridiculous. Who the heck wants to read about someone’s life (today I ate donuts, tonight I watched the first season of Dawson’s Creek, have you ever noticed airplane food)?


It’s why I am not a big fan of reality TV. I am in the middle of my own reality TV show right now (mind you, the ratings aren’t so hot).

That said, when my friend Kim Cockroft started a blog a ways back about the life and times of Wazoo Farm, (http://wazoofarm.blogspot.com/) her new house and estate in Pennsylvania, it seemed a little more intriguing. Add in the fact that Kim is one of the best writers ever, and her blog got me hooked.

And, the idea of a blog that was the diary of a place, rather than a person, intrigued me. What goes on at Wazoo Farm, for all of us who have no idea what rural Pennsylvania might be like, is really interesting— and a great way to learn about people. So, why not what goes in an art studio in Fort Point in Boston… thus 617 Midway was born.

My first true “blog” entry ever was actually a contribution to Kim’s site. She invites book reviews from her friends, and I submitted one on a recent Benjamin Franklin biography that I read, and loved. You can read the review at her site:

http://wazoofarm.blogspot.com/2007/05/contributor-book-review-benjamin.html

Back to Kim as a writer. She is on my list of best fiction writers alive. Seriously. She has an incredible gift for voice and narrative, and a creative imagination that makes any of her works a joy to read. See the pic above of Kim and her daughter Elspeth.

Of course, her husband, Martin Cockroft is one of, if not the, greatest living American poet. Imagine their gene pool?

I expect their daughters Merry and Elspeth to take over the world.

1 comment:

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

You're so crazy. And so sweet. Thanks for making me grin like a monkey.