Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Little Man in Graffiti and Crosswalks





In my near-constant meditations on the little man who adorns the signs that we all look at crosswalks for, etc., I came across the two instances above this week. I though the first was kind of comical, as the whole point of the little man is so people just understand what a sign means, without words, so when I caught this crosswalk button on Atlantic Ave actually giving directions to what the crosswalk symbols meant I found it preposterous. Of course, this is on the heels of me thinking it is preposterous that the actions the little man is engaged in would actually give someone a clue as to what to beware. Example: “Beware Wet Floor” looks a lot like “Everybody Breakdance.”

Or, when more explicit: Everybody Breakdance NOW.

The other instance was actually in Chinatown near Essex and Washington Streets. Imagine my surprise when someone had made a foam cutout of the little man, covered it in graffiti and stapled the cut out to the side of one of the places where people post new record releases, etc. He is the new icon. He is everywhere.

I will say this for the top pic. In terms of “Cross With Caution,” he does look pretty hesitant in his pose. Here is the little man suffering from Crosswalk Trepidation. He seems to demand a better name than "The Little Man," but it needs to be something that befits an icon.

No comments: