Friday, April 10, 2009

Being Stalked By The Little Man and Shepard Fairey Kleptomania


As 617Midway readers know, one of my new preoccupations is with the little man that adorns signs from bathrooms to gas pumps and otherwise. Imagine my surprise when I found that the hunter had become the hunted. I have been travelling with my camera to see if I could pick up new and wonderful ways the little man is occupying his time. Especially when paired with words, these signs seem more and more preposterous to me. The little man truly is skewering himself in a variety of odd and interesting ways in order to advise the general population of safety. If that isn’t sainthood, what is?

So here I am, travelling around and looking for the little man. Then what happens? I leave the door of my studio, and he is right there waiting for ME. They waxed the floors here at Midway Studios and the little man was right outside my door when I left, staring at me. He is clearly stalking me.

And not only was he staring right at me… he was doing some sort of interpretative dance move. Could it be “The Electric Slide?” Could it be the Kid'n'Play kickstep?

In other news, my friend Sarah today asked me via text if Shepard Fairey was aware that he was copying Kurt Cole Eidsvig. An insightful question that cuts to the bone, as I keep drawing and painting these yellow/red/white/black works and every time I do, I think about how bad I am stealing from Fairey’s palette. I am a Fairey kleptomaniac. I admit it.

But then I took another look at this yellow, red, and black sign the little man was dancing on and realized that he is stealing from SF too. It made me feel better.

And seriously, if you haven't seen House Party yet, of have never warmed up to Kid'n'Play, go find a copy of this cinematic classic.

1 comment:

Jess said...

i too love the little man.