Monday, April 27, 2009

America's Hometown





Took a field trip to Plymouth today. For those of you who were unaware, this is not only "America's Hometown," but also "Kurt Eidsvig's Home Town." Although, they have the "America's" bit written in script on the side of the police cruisers, while there seems to be no plans in the works to change this motto to the Eidsvig thing. Then again, they did give me a free ride in the back a few times. But that's a story for some other blog.

One of the strange things about growing up in Plymouth, besides the fact that everyone takes a field trip to your hometown when you're growing up, is that in Artist's Statements you are supposed to list your birthday and your birthplace. For me, that would be Scranton, Pennsylvania. And while I resided in the hometown of The Office for all of a year, and Dwight K. Schrute's middle "K" is for "Kurt," it hardly served to define me. I'm not sure that living near Plimoth Plantation did either... but I definitely spent a lot more time in "The 'Mouth" than I did "Getting my Scrant On" (see The Office website for this new masterful tee shirt). I would guess growing up so close to the ocean has informed some of my ideas of space and landscapes too... but who knows.


Plus, I hate beets. So, the Shrute Farms thing is out.


Anyhow, I took a few shots on my field trip today. The outside ones are from the waterfront down behind the Cabby Shack and the paintings are from inside the restaurant. Good place to grab a bite and watch the ocean do its thing. Plymouth has changed a lot since they brought me to the city limits and said "Get Lost." We didn't have cool spots like the Cabby Shack when I was there... And they definitely don't have $@#%#* like that in Scranton.

1 comment:

Jess said...

those fish look sad!