Sunday, July 8, 2007

Midway Sunrise and Final for "Summer School"




As many of you know, I work quite often late into the night/early morning. While I tend to work on the business end of things during the day, I find that nothing compares to the undivided attention a painting can get at 3 in the morning.
Generally, it turns out, I do most of my painting from about 11pm to 5 or 6 am. Basically, this is the time when everyone else is asleep and I can focus completely on painting.
And, as with all things, I feel justified because de Kooning was similar.
Doesn't do great for being able to participate in conversations about what was shown on "Good Morning America" the other day- but I get some pretty spectacular sunrises being so close to the ocean. The above is from this morning.
On a slightly related note, if you want a treat today check out the page of artist Bruce McClain's Interior paintings (http://homepages.gac.edu/~bmcclain/Interiors.html). The "Monet and Pollock" and "De Kooning and Lautrec" are pretty wonderful.
I came across the de Kooning "Newsweek" cover above via google.
And, with the dawn this morning came the finishing touches on "Summer School" which looks like it will be included in the FPAC Gallery show starting July 20th. The above is a quick pic to tide you over until then.

No comments: