Saturday, July 4, 2009

Square Experiments

One of the interesting facets of these new X-O comic dramas is the amount of time I spend on squares. Have been looking at old comics, new comics, magazines, movie stills and old letter box movies to see whst layouts carry the eye, carry drama or story, catch the eye and stop it, etc.

Already mentioned The Dark Knight and seeing how comic frames translate to scene breaks and asides. Also, watched Funny Face with Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn and enjoyed the use of squares and magazines in various graphics and the mix of still and moving pictures that these paintings call to.

The movie itself was a let down... But the look of the opening sequence was as cool as movies today... And this was done 50+ years ago. Looked like a better episode of Sex in the City.

Speaking of Sex in the City, SJP's production company is doing a reality show on up and coming artists. Should I send my headshot? What would Rothko do?

And Rothko was on my mind today as I clicked this shot... The squares and the light. Even the composition reminded me a little of one of his from 58.

Other big thing lately is reading Fitgerald's unfinished Last Tycoon I am struck at how much Hopper I can "see" in this. Led me to think about artists rendering colors forms and light in a way they anticipate we will remember it... Whether Hopper or Fitgerald, the Impressionists, Renaissance, etc.

Happy 4th.
#

No comments: