Sunday, July 12, 2009

Forgive Me All Time Low and Wordplay



So I of course bought the new All Time Low album right at the gate and gave it a listen this week. What did I do? After my first listen I tell my friend Maria: "I'm not that into it."

What the hell is wrong with me? I come home and listen to it two more times and now the thing is on repeat in 617Midway. It covers all the bases: booze, breakups, tabloids. In a word? Sweet. Basically the 14 thousand paintings I am working on simultaneously are fueled by All Time Low's "Nothing Personal."

Forgive me ATL.

As for the Wordplay. Watched the documentary this weekend on crossword puzzles and word games and there was this great bit by Ken Burns where he talks about New York City being a city of boxes and grids. It was interesting to me as with these new paintings I find myself moving around to shift the contents of window panes (see the post prior to this one). As I fill these comic boxes with moments of a drama, the movie Wordplay discussed the idea of crossword puzzles being part of an instinct to fill things with meaning.

No comments: