Wednesday, July 15, 2009

In-progress Update and Haring part 1 of 2




Watched "The Universe of Keith Haring" the other night and am wary of his use of color seeping into these paintings. I told my friend Paul once that I had to watch who I was reading when I was working on writing as I began to copy rhythms and music unintentionally (see Raymond Chandler, Vonnegut, Alexie, O'Hara, Koch... etc). The same is true with visual art. Have been thinking a lot of Alex Katz with some of these, not to mention others. Also, anytime I use red and yellow I think of Gina coming in my studio a few years back and saying "what's up with the McDonald's paintings?"

So, I am trying to paint non-Haring-esque, non-Ronald McDonald-esque paintings. What more can anyone aspire to?

But watching the Haring was a knock-out. His use of color and line is so perfect, so on point. At times I thought, "those will look like 80's colors" but even though they are high-contrast and bright there is still a quality to them that surpasses an era. Highly recomend the movie.

And as you can see I am painting along. Also, have been catching up on Mad Men. What is better than Don Draper reading O'Hara's "Meditations in an Emergency"? I will likely post that next.

Don't tell Frank O'Hara but Draper does a bang-up job here.

Good God I love Frank O'Hara.

Also, have some working titles here for these paintings: One is "Elmore's 34th," and another is "Barney N. and Coffee Cups." You will have to guess which is which. Not to mention "Everybody Falls in Love on Airplanes."

No comments: