Monday, March 9, 2009

60 Degrees, The God of Animals, Dobby Gibson, Guest Photos, FPTC, and 99 Cents




It was 60 degrees in Boston yesterday. Daylight Savings Time begins and Mother Nature drops a big gift-wrapped present on the Hub. Now I realize it was probably 60 degrees in a lot of places yesterday. In fact, it may even have been warmer than that in California, Florida, South America, etc. But, hey—it’s pretty hot in Hell too. I’m talking about Beantown baby. It was amazing.

As an aside, the pic above features Boston’s old Federal Building where one Al Eidsvig worked when he lived in the area. Legend has it that word spread that some cowboy from Montana was going to be starting there and the people had no idea what they’d be in for. I had no idea what I’d be in for either: I was just a glint on his spurs back then.

As another aside, the other pic above is from today: Beantown back to normal. It snowed light, fluffy flakes; but was a far cry from yesterday.

Aryn Kyle: If you haven’t bought and read and gave as gifts “The God of Animals” yet, you are selling yourself short. It is truly amazing. A wonderful book from a Montana alum. I just finished it and was awed. Check it out.

Dobby Gibson: I’ve been reading Dobby Gibson’s second book of poetry: Skirmish. There is some blend of Koch / O’Hara / Ashbery in his approach and craft that I love. Plus, a great mix of image, sound, humor and the tragic. I am working on a review for one of the lit mags—so more on that later, but a nice read by a contemporary poet.

Guest Photographer: I recently worked with Jess Barnett to update her portfolio and took some photos of her recent work. You can see these new photos here.

Fort Point Theatre Channel: The Fort Point Theatre Channel has just come out with a new posting for their theatre company. If you are in the Boston area, pick one up: there's a small shot of me at one of their reading events included in the marketing material.

99 Cents: Above, see the newest shot of "99 Cents" in progress.

No comments: