Sunday, February 8, 2009

Valentine's Day Poetry



So, I am in the midst of yet another manuscript revision which means I am hip-deep in poetry from yesterday. Wading through at least six years of poems. It is like looking at old High School yearbooks and being astounded at your haircut decisions.

And, yes, that is a dynamite name for a poem or book of poems. Sure, it is awful close to Tom Perrotta's "Bad Haircut," but "Haircut Decisions," could still be poetic gold. It's yours for the taking.

Anyhow, I have nearly no Valentine's Day poems, but I did come across this diddy about candy hearts. It always reminds me of the time on Arrested Development when George Michael finds the candy heart that says "Maybe Tonight," and hits Tobias in the back of the head with it.

Pic above is from the-op.com.

CANDY HEARTS

I have chewed through chalk
to the remnants of this jar
of candy hearts. The dull pinks
irritate teeth, but I keep
gnawing at their shells
and wincing at their taste.

Will you?
Hot Stuff
Wrap your hands
around me
You will wonder
if she won’t call back

and Roses are made for breaking,
and there are tears
spewing from my eye-corners—
not in tormenting ghosts
of yesterday, or the isolation
of an empty jar; but the repetition
of crunched-heart chewing.
As with all these lustful jabs
at messy glass, my eyes
are bigger than my wishes,

and I wish there was another
heart I couldn't taste.

2 comments:

Jess said...

I hate those candy hearts. (Not your poem, the actual hearts.) Ick.

I also have a crush on Michael Cera, which probably makes me close to a pedophile.

And I'm looking forward to Friday! :)

Jess said...

p.s. my new painting SUCKS so far--i need help.