Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Exclamation Point 5: The Science of Love



So, the Fort Point Theatre Channel put out a call to artists a while back asking for possible contributions to their upcoming event “The Science of Love.” Some of you may remember I have done a few things with them in the past. In fact, a deft you-tuber might even find some variety of various Eidsvig haircuts spitting poetic verse from one of their earlier events.

Anyhow, I submitted a piece titled “Women Are Like Buses,” and they responded accordingly:

“Dear Mr. Eidsvig: Your writing indicates you know less about love than any sentient being. In fact, we are all doomed to dismal relationship failures after having read your work. Thank you for ruining our lives.”

OK, OK, it wasn’t that bad. What they did say was that it probably wasn’t the right event for this piece… and that maybe we could tweak it and include dramatic elements for a future production. Which sounds super cool.

Weird that a piece titled “Women Are Like Buses,” might not ring the right bell for a Valentine’s Eve event, huh?

Anyhow, I have been sitting on the picture above for a bit. Took it one morning in my studio when the sun was careening just right through the gaps in my curtains to make an exclamation point against my front door. Those who know the Eidsvig sleep cycles should know that my ability to operate a camera in the morning is just as impressive as this unexpected sun silhouette appearing in my studio.

But while the Fort Point Theatre Channel pronounced me the anti-cupid, it seems as though I will be participating, if only in part, in Exclamation Point 5: The Science of Love.

Filmmaker Vanessa Vartabedian is presenting a piece for the event and has captured some footage of me doing my freestyle rap impression to my poem “Love is Give and Take,” alongside some audio of me and the late, great Al Eidsvig (my Dad) singing and interacting circa 1977. The still above is from Vanessa’s movie, and it should be a treat.

Here’s the skinny from the FPTC website:
Friday, February 13
Doors open at 6:30, and the readings start promptly at 7.
12 Farnsworth Street, Fort Point, Boston
Next door to the Fort Point branch of Flour Bakery + Cafe
On Valentine's Day Eve, The Science of Love celebrates the optimist and the cynical, the sentimental and the brutal, with plays and video, cartoons and music.
Coordinated and Hosted by Silvia Graziano
and featuring work by Sylvie Agudelo, Brian Bartels, Mary Driscoll, Ira Gamerman, Meron Langsner, Christopher Lockheardt, Ron Pullins, Aoise Stratford, Nick Thorkelson, and Vanessa Vartabedian

and with the participation of Tim Diering, Jorrit Dijkstra, Anthony Gaskins, Christie Lee Gibson, Marc S. Miller, Allen Phelps, Therese Plaehn, Steve Rumpler, Brendan Shea, Robin JaVonne Smith, Daniel J. van Ackere, and Mark Warhol

Come early and order sandwiches, dinner, snacks, and drinks next door at Flour Bakery + Cafe. Flour will serve a full menu till 7; the bakery will stay open for Exclamation Point! till intermission, serving pastries and beverages.

12 Farnsworth Street is off Congress Street, two blocks east of the Children's Museum.
Exclamation Point! is free. No tickets or reservations are needed.
*****
So, come on over to Flour and watch me squirm at my world movie debut.

* * * * *
In other news?

1) Artist Jess Barnett has a new blog, check it out at:
http://myfavoritecliche.blogspot.com/
2) It won’t stop snowing in Boston
3) I have been listening to the band “Hit The Lights,” like crazy. Oooh, that “309.” Oh, and New Found Glory and I have become codependent.
4) I am working on a painting titled “Even Cowboys Get the Blues,” or “Blue Cowboys.” More on that soon.

5 comments:

Meron said...

I look forward to seeing you there, on screen and off!

Jess said...

Yay!! Congrats--that's awesome! :)

And thank you for referencing my blog, even though it's not super artsy as of yet.

Jess said...

p.s. I want to come to this! Can you remind me??

Ms. V said...

But how are women like buses?

Eids said...

How are women like buses? You mean besides the fact that they run on diesel fuel and you need a Charlie Card to get on them?

I may have to leave this one mysterious. Or, you could always consult the Eidsvig poem "Another Train," for answers. Or, better yet, you could petition the powers that be in publishing and demand a home for the short story "Women Are Like Buses," which answers this question and so many, many others.

If you do get in touch with the powers that be, please negotiate a two-book-deal while you're at it.