Thursday, February 19, 2009

Joanna Klink at Harvard Briggs-Copeland Reading

For those of you who missed it tonight, Joanna Klink blew the doors off of the Edison and Newman Room in the Houghton Library at Harvard University. Reading new work from a collection titled “Crisis Lyrics,” Joanna was nothing short of amazing in her reading, in her new poems, in her managing the energy and space of the room. It was truly spectacular. Her poem “Sorting” is probably my all-time fav.

I was afraid to bust out the camera during the reading, being at Harvard and all. I was trying to figure out which combination of Affleck and Damon from Good Will Hunting I was tonight (without the movie star good looks of course). I figured 90% Chuckie with 10% Will Hunting sprinkled in. But the Will is only because I walked by the Au Bon Pain after that was in the scene with Minnie Driver.

Question: When will Au Bon Pain use House of Pain for an irreverent series of commercials?

Anyhow, I didn't take a photo during the reading. But, pretty wonderful to have a great poet as your thesis committee chair, and to recognize the music of her poems and to still be bowled over by her talent and craft.

Also above see the gratuitous notes of mine during the reading.

No comments: