Monday, February 9, 2009

Blue Cowboys, Noah Baumbach, & My Best Friend’s Girl



My Best Friend’s Girl

If you read my recent Examiner.com article on Shepard Fairey getting thrown in the hooskow here in Boston over this past weekend you may have begun to suspect that I had been boning up on my Boston movie watching.

Yes, it’s true: I watched the Dane Cook vehicle, “My Best Friend’s Girl,” this weekend and it was surprisingly good. It was ridiculously obscene at times, sure, but what can one expect from the post-modern experience? But as someone who is currently battling with fiction and screenplay writing and is immensely interested in storytelling and inventive ways to approach a genre, the Jason Biggs/Dane Cook/Kate Hudson fiasco that is “My best Friend’s Girl,” was a great take-off on the romantic comedy.

Plus, it works to feature Boston prominently as a supporting actress, and what a beauty she can be when she wants to. The shots of the South End, the waterfront, and various Fort Point locations had me swooning.
Noah Baumbach

617Midway readers know that Noah Baumbach is one of my absolute favs of all time. His movie “Kicking and Screaming,” is cinematic genius, and I was a big fan of Margot at the Wedding as well (which reminded me of Alex Katz paintings in terms of its cinematography).

Anyhow, other Baumbach fans out there might want to check the Jan 26, 2009 New Yorker out for his piece “Mouse A Vin.”

Blue Cowboys

As promised, I am including a few pics of a current work in progress, “Blue Cowboys,” or “Even Cowboys Get the Blues.” As with some of my other recent works this one gets its inspiration from clothing catalogs, ideas of self-image and popular image, and other random swirls of Eidsvig ideas. It is 48” x 72”. Keep watching for the certain video clips of me running around wildly trying to paint this thing.

1 comment:

Jess said...

I couldn't figure out how to comment on YOUR comment on MY blog. Sorry. Anyway, Yep, Styles is the man!

And one of my favorites was always the shirt that said, "F.B.I. Female Body Inspector." I want that shirt.

Another good one was, "God is coming and is She pissed!!" My friend actually owns that shirt, I think.