Friday, May 1, 2009

Public Garden Yesterday






I'll admit it: I seem to have contracted some addiction to taking photos of Boston this spring. Yesterday in the Public Garden was no exception, and with the different shades of tulips popping, it was a glorious afternoon. I was even able to get some sketching done, which is something I haven't done in a long time.

At least I wasn't alone in these addictions. I spied at least 5 easels and artists set up who were capturing the Pru and Back Bay with the red and orange tulips in the foreground. I was reminded of the Impressionists painting out-of-doors, that is, until one the painters answered his cell phone, brush in hand.

And as far as the photos went: It was one of those days when it was difficult to take a photo without capturing someone else taking a photo in your picture frame. So, the Public Garden was a buzz of people enjoying in capturing the moments.

Who had the most fun? It had to be the kids. I don't know what it is with kids and ducks, but as I sat by the water, drawing, every once in a while I would see a kid bolt for the water's edge just to get closer to a duck. They ran. They stared. They laughed. You want to make a kid happy? Show him a duck.

Looks like I will be including some sketchbook excerpts in open studios next weekend, so come along and check it out.

No comments: