Thursday, May 7, 2009

Pre-Art Walk Catch-up


In honor of procrastinating getting my studio ready for the weekend’s FPAC Art Walk, I am doing a long catch-up blog on all things 617Midway and beyond. Also in honor of this procrastination I found some time to watch the Celtics tonight. Did you see that Rondo dunk? Now THAT is art my friends.

And, no, my studio isn’t ready. It looks as if some giant picked up my studio and shook it like in the beginning of a game of Boggle.

Anyway, here goes:

Mother’s Day Flowers

I dropped off my Mother’s Day Flowers at the FPAC store today for their Mother’s Day giveaway. During this weekend’s Open Studios event, the first 100 moms to stop by their info booth will receive free original works of art. The three I have donated are small paintings of mine from my mother’s garden, so stop by on Sunday and you may walk away with one... or some other original art from a Fort Pointer.

See a few samples of my paintings above.

The Little Man

My friend Robert asked me via email last week something to the effect of: “What’s the deal with your fascination with that little guy on signs?”

Clearly Robert hasn’t been an avid 617Midway reader. That said, I guess I believe one of the aspects of contemporary art, or at least in my work (the catalog paintings, collages, baseball card works, advertisements) is trying to get viewers to re-look at those images they take for granted or don’t notice on a daily basis. In my mind, the little man is a perfect example of this. The more I study his various forms and preposterous situations, the more I wonder at the meaning in these images. So, they are likely fodder for a writing project or a series of paintings, or at the very least blog insanity.

The “Fire Door” representation above I snapped at UMASS last week. This is a Fire Door graphic? Then what is the graphic for "there's a water bed close by, let's get busy?"

Here is the other question: Didn’t Keith Haring already take this little guy and set him free? I’m slow, so this didn’t occur to me until this past week. Image above is from PutnamCollection.org

El Tres of May

I missed my annual shout out to Goya on the Tres of May. So, in honor of the 7th of May, remember Goya. Guy could paint.

And, yes, I know my Spanish is horrible.

Sketches of Frank Gehry

Watched this movie this past week. Thought is was interesting and good and inspired me to include some of my sketchbook in this weekend’s open studios. There was probably too much Sydney Pollack in it for my taste (although there were some great parallels between the two... but he was on camera quite a bit). And maybe even a bit too much on how difficult it was for Gehry to break through. While entirely true in all likelihood, it was a bit hard to take when he is a subject of a movie in his lifetime and there are all these huge buildings with his name on them. I mean, it isn’t like painting. Anyone can paint a crazy painting. I am living proof. But in order to get a building built you need all kinds of financing, permits, engineers, etc. So, the bit about all the opposition was a bit much.

But the movie itself, especially Pollack’s focus on the forms and their interaction with environments was great for me. As were the interviews with Julian Schnabel. Plus, Gehry referenced Jasper Johns: Is there a faster way to win my heart over?

I have long thought that finding this stuff on Netflix is the best part of subscribing for me. Just seeing the sketches, the models, the processes… and the shots of so many buildings I haven’t visited, made it very worthwhile.

Sotheby’s

Anyone catch the results of the Sotheby’s Impressionist and Modern sale this past week (May 5th)? Mondrian for 9 million? Monet for 3.5 million? The art market is alive and well 617Midway readers. And with their Contemporary sale scheduled for May 12 and 13, featuring works by Rauschenberg, Koons, Warhol, etc… there are sure to be additional big numbers posted next week.

What better time to invest in contemporary works than this weekend at Art Walk? Ahem?

Exclamation Point Rehearsal

Attended the rehearsal for the Fort Point Theatre Channel’s production of Past(el) Colors as part of their Exclamation Point! 6 event tonight. I have to say, I was very, very impressed. There are great actors working on this piece under the watchful director’s eye of Silvia Graziano, and seeing Martin Cockroft's and my words come to life through great delivery, timing, etc., is a joy to be part of. Just tonight watching Mary Driscoll, Leora Fox, Marc S. Miller, Steven Rumpler, and Nick Thorkelson deliver the goods has me very excited for Friday.

In another piece of good news, the Fort Point Theatre Channel has invited me to become a member. So, more to come on that. But in the meantime, look forward to seeing you all on Friday at 7pm for the show.

Wait until you see the other pieces and the costumes. Plus, John Gayle is working on visuals to accompany. Great, great stuff.

John Singleton Copley

Took a pic of this statue of Copley this past winter when John here had a palette full of snow. Only fair to catch him today at his best, presiding over the Back Bay. Is Copley the patron saint of Boston painters? Is it Sargent? Ellsworth Kelly? It may just be Copley, which is OK by me. In some ways, he may be the father of American art.

And in some ways I need to go get my studio in some working shape before 300 people come walking in here this weekend.

And did you see that Eddie House tonight? Poetry! Poetry I tell ya!

No comments: