Saturday, December 13, 2008

Wet Seal, the Wu, and 12 Farnsworth








Wet Seal & The Wu:
So, tonite I am minding my own business, enjoying the Christmas lights in the common, and then in Downtown Crossing here in Boston, and I walk past the women's/girl's clothing store Wet Seal. And what do I see on one of the mannequins? A Wu-Tang Clan tee shirt. A Wu-Tang Clan tee shirt?

Now, those of you that know me well might think that the scene then turned into an Andrew McCarthy/Kim Cattrall interlude circa '87 and I went in there, snatched the mannequin and we are married happily ever after now. But no, my emotional response went the other way. Who the hell authorized the selling of Wu Wear at Wet Seal? Was this the RZA, AKA Bobby Digital? What would Old Dirty say if he were here right now (besides "Shimmy Shimmy Ya?"). Is this how the older generation felt when kids in the nineties started wearing bell bottoms, listening to the Doors, and dressing like Oasis... I mean, the Beatles? It is terrible, this appropriation of my youth. Where are the days of the Wu-Tang Clan selling singles of "Protect Ya Neck" from the trunk of their car circa '93? Above, see the pic from the Wet Seal website.

Farnsworth:
So, I dropped a piece off today for the group show at 12 Farnsworth. Then I got a call that they wanted to include Pink Angels as well... so looks like I will have two large pieces in the show. More information to come on the opening, etc.

And yes, today was the first day that I realized that the road this gallery is on shares a name with P-Diddy's butler, the infamous Farnsworth Bentley. Pic above is from http://hate.blogetery.com/

For more on Farnsworth Bentley I recommend the Chappelle show, namely the sketch on making the band.

And Back to Wet Seal and the Wu:
Basically, the GZA summed it up best in "Protect Ya Neck," lyrics courtesy of http://www.sing365.com/


The Wu is too slammin for these Cold Killin labels


Some ain't had hits since I seen Aunt Mabel


Be doin artists in like Cain did Abel


Now they money's gettin stuck to the gum under the table


That's what ya get when ya misuse what I invent


Your empire falls and ya lose every cent


For tryin to blow up a scrub


Now that thought was just as bright as a 20-watt light bulb


Should of pumped it when I rocked it


Niggaz so stingy they got short arms and deep pockets


This goes on in some companies


With majors they're scared to death to pump these


First of all, who's your A&R


A mountain climber who plays an electric guitar?


But he don't know the meaning of dope


When he's lookin for a suit and tie rap


that's cleaner than a bar of soap


And I'm the dirtiest thing in sight


Matter of fact bring out the girls and let's have a mud fight


Below, see the video for Protect Ya Neck. Do these men from Staten Island really look like they are peddling ladies' fashions? Then again, if you must wear the Wu-Tang ladies, please check out the video for Ice Cream (from the revolutionary "Only Built for Cuban Links" album by Raekwon)... now that is when the Clan was really pushing the Wu-Wear.

I miss hip-hop.

As For Art:
I am not sure what all of this has to do with art or my studio, besides the Farnsworth bentley Gallery. But my next poem might be titled "Amends Letters to Unique Ason."

Yours truly,
Dirt McGirt





1 comment:

jenifer said...

Nice post..! I love to shop at Wetseal. Its my favorite store.