Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Meditations? Personal Graffiti? Prayer Drawings?




I am not exactly sure where the idea came from, but I have been working on these individual drawings over the past few days. I have done one every day since the 25th of October, and they take anywhere from an hour to about 3 hours each. All are pen and ink, as you can see, and are on 9” x 12” paper.

I have been reading Kip Tiernan’s “Urban Meditations,” which is amazing, and have always been a huge fan of Frank O’Hara’s “Meditations in an Emergency,” so maybe that is some of it. I think also talking to Nick Dragotta (see previous Howtoons post) last week and discussing his work, and my comfort with pen and ink, it got me thinking I might want to return to some of these works. There are actually a few similar ones on display (and for sale) at the Gulu-Gulu show right now (see http://www.gulu-gulu.com/).

Many of these were done outside near the Children’s Museum in Boston, and are likely influenced by the seagulls (many of my pieces and poems make a connection to flying and birds) and cityscapes, reflections, the human form and memories in general.

So, here are a few of these in the series of “Emotional Graffiti,” “Visual Prayers,” “Meditations in Black and White,” or some other possible title I am searching for. I try and focus on what I am thinking on, and call forms from memory, and then use a combination of found imagery in the pieces and larger overall ideas carrying sometimes between two or three pieces or more.

The ones above are from October 26, 29 and 31 respectively (starting top to bottom).

Happy Halloween everyone.

No comments: