Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Music Video: Jay-Z - La La La

And I have been remiss in the hip-hop history annals.

Like many, I was a bit put off by Mr. Jay-Z when he was elevated to near-God status on the death of Biggie Smalls. The void for a East Coast solo MC was so great that both the press and Jay-Z jumped on the opportunity at the time and he became the self-proclaimed heir to the throne.

And, being more of a hip-hop fan than a hit-pop fan, his ability to cross-over and produce club anthems hasn't always helped his status in my eyes.

But, of course, he is undeniably one of the best MC's in recent years. Although I tend to like him more when played against another rapper ("Renegade" is a great example of this, as is the remix of "Diamonds...").

Interesting- one of my first favorite Jay-Z songs was "Sunshine" with Foxy Brown, which got panned as too commercial at the time. I always felt it was a good play against high-end producing.

However, off the Bad Boys 2 soundtrack, "La La La" is my favorite Jay-Z track (with the 2 possible exceptions above). I was always surprised that another song "Shake your Tailfeather" did so much better on the singles chart. But, this song is a bit edgier, and a bit more appealing to me as a result.

I love the P-Diddy cameo.

"No physician in the world can fix him/ no prescription you can prescribe to subside his affliction/ he's not a sane man/ he's more like Rainman, twitchin'"

No comments: