Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Living Breathing Lichtenstein, Black Canvases, Jasper Johns Unanimated & Other Stuff

After the repeated insistence of my friend Azita I have started to watch Mad Men. It took me a few episodes to get fully immersed, but I’m now inescapably in. What kept me coming back at first though was Don Draper and the casting of Jon Hamm. I mean, is this guy a living, breathing Lichtenstein or what?

Images above are from Easyart.com, askart.com and nerve.com respectively.

I am convinced that the show was actually secretly funded by the cigarette companies. I’m getting a smoker’s cough just from watching it. But it’s delightful.

Black Canvases

Above, see the looming presence of black canvases in 617Midway begging for paint and attention.

Yes, of course, I am tempted to leave them as-is and call them minimalism. But it looks like they have other plans. Some hybrid comic book / catalog stuff is likely on its way.

Jasper Johns

On the topic of art coming to life, I was interested to read the piece “Art Attack” in this week’s New Yorker (June 1, 2009) by Adam Gopnik on the movie Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian. The story describes the efforts to make some of the paintings “come to life” alongside the various Stiller ridiculousness (I still miss him as the nursing home attendant in Happy Gilmore). Best part of this piece for me was the fact that Jasper Johns allowed them to use his painting “Three Flags” from 1958, but that he was the only artist included who did not give permission for them to animate his work.

In others this might be awful, but I am not sure what Jasper Johns can do wrong in my book. And why is the clip of him on the Simpson’s not posted on youtube by now?

Other Stuff

Things are happening on the Tantric show front. More soon. I’ve been listening to lots of All Time Low and enjoying Michael Davis’ book Gravity. Also, prepping an application for the Warhol Foundation and put in some work for the FPAC Summer Show, so keep your fingers crossed.

No comments: