Sunday, November 30, 2008

Completed Work: Forgiveness, 2008



Above, see the image of the completed piece, "Forgiveness." The piece, shown in-progress on November 11, 2008 is 36" by 48".


I ahve been reading the book "Elaine and Bill: Portrait of a Marriage," by Lee Hall, so that may explain the dip back into retro-Abstract Expressionism a la Gorky and de Kooning. I actually started thinking in grays, and thinking of exploring lots of tones within the gray scale, but even in the early layers of paint I started mixing purples and red with the grays and then I liked that so much I kept going.


As someone mentioned to me recently, I certainly like vivid colors. There is something about taking dramatic contrasts in terms of colors and then making them harmonize that seems central to my project whether I am trying to push back on Abstract Expressionism or Pop or both.


That is a long excuse for why this is not just gray.

No comments: