Wednesday, April 2, 2008

New Yorker this Week – April 7




Just a brief note not to miss this week’s New Yorker which has an article on Frank O’Hara. The picture above is from their website NewYorker.com

And this only days after I had finally titled “Meditations on a Balcony,” one of my new pieces; the title being very influenced by O’Hara’s famous book “Meditations in an Emergency” (which was almost the title of the painting as well). Although “Meditations in Black and White,” or the always favorite “The Marriage of Reason and Squalor” were in the running as well.

Below, see the poem “To The Harbormaster,” from O’Hara’s book “Meditations in an Emergency.”

TO THE HARBORMASTER


I wanted to be sure to reach you;

though my ship was on the way it got caught

in some moorings. I am always tying up

and then deciding to depart. In storms and

at sunset, with the metallic coils of the tide

around my fathomless arms, I am unable

to understand the forms of my vanity

or I am hard alee with my Polish rudder

in my hand and the sun sinking. To

you I offer my hull and the tattered cordage

of my will. The terrible channels where

the wind drives me against the brown lips

of the reeds are not all behind me. Yet

I trust the sanity of my vessel; and

if it sinks it may well be in answer

to the reasoning of the eternal voices,

the waves which have kept me from reaching you.

No comments: