Sunday, September 2, 2007

Work in Progress: Flowers






Above, see some works in progress, or really a single work in progress. I am not really sure of a working title for it yet, I am just calling it “flowers,” or maybe “12.” But flowers will do for now.

I am not sure I ever expected to paint flowers again, but maybe it is the Matisse book I am reading— or just my own work, but I am more and more concerned with color and line. Thought this project would give me a chance to think about color and some complex colors a bit. I truly like the idea of flat and line, but there is an explosive nature to the right colors that seems hard to pinpoint unless you get it exact. At least that’s where I am right now.

So, the plan for this piece is to do 12 separate pen and ink/water-based acrylic works, each 8” x 10” and then frame them individually and hang them on a 4 x 3 grid with an inch or two between.

This came to me as the best way to study some separate colors individually, as well as how their line shape and composition might play off the colors around them.

The first three above are some initial line drawings. All are from studies I have been doing this summer in my mother’s garden.

No comments: