Tuesday, May 13, 2008

RIP Bob Rauschenberg






Today marks a sad day in American art as announcements are coming out that Bob Rauschenberg died yesterday at the age of 82.

One of my favorite things to do in solidifying my place as an artist is to refer to Robert Rauschenberg as “Bob” Rauschenberg. This seems to make one more of an artist than 50 years of training might.


Above, see a pic of Rauschenberg from http://www.jackmitchellphotographer.com/.

In all seriousness, anyone who knows me understands that Rauschenberg is among my favs. Visiting his 2 Furlong piece at the MassMOCA (which was showing at the same time as Rosenquist’s “The Swimmer in the Econo-mist,” another masterpiece) was a major moment for me. In fact, I went back to the MOCA three different times to see them both while they were showing.


Above, see a shot of "The 2 Furlong or 1/4 Mile Piece" from MassMOCA’s website, http://www.massmoca.org.second/

The second is from:


http://art-smart.ci.manchester.ct.us/waddell/wad-massmoca6.html. Also, check this link for many additional iamges of this work.

While I likely (no, definitely) prefer Johns, Rosenquist, Lichtenstein, and some others of that time period in their actual production (that is, the art they created), in many ways anyone in art today owes a debt to Rauschenberg. He was very, very daring and interesting, and all of us who make assemblage or collage stand somewhat on his foundation. His process was essential in opening up art in Post-Abstract Expressionism.

I will not get into the whole soap opera of Jasper Johns and Rauschenberg and their individual success and break up. But it is fun 1950’s gossip if you want to Google it.

I am never far from Rauschenberg, as I have a print of his piece “2 Furlongs or ¼ Mile” that hangs in my office, and I had a print of his "Retroactive I" in my office at the University of Montana. Yes, to all you former students and fellow teachers— the office I never showed up to office hours in.


Above, see a shot of my office wall in 617 Midway and a shot of "Retroactive I" from AllPosters.com.

Anyhow, for those of you looking for other artsy gossip, check out the story on Rauschenberg erasing a de Kooning pencil drawing. It is one of the best passages in the book “de Kooning: An American Master,” by Mark Stevens and Annalyn Swan. There is a youtube clip on this below. I love the idea of de Kooning knowing full well the intention and goals of Rauschenberg and his participation in this.

Back to the 2 Furlong piece, I have a personal theory that this piece is Rauschenberg’s attempt to capture a visual timeline of post World War 2 American Art. Looking closely, one sees all the players… the Pollocks, the de Koonings, Jasper Johns, assemblage, conceptual art, truisms, earthworks, etc. It is just one man's opinion. But, then again, you are reading that man's blog.

And below, I am posting another YouTube piece on Rauschenberg discussing his work, Monogram.

Thank you Robert Rauschenberg. May someone continue your life like a found stuffed animal. Good luck on your next group of work.



No comments: